Skip to main content

PRP week 2

 A couple of weeks ago, we had the most beautiful, sunny, 70-degree spring weather. I just knew I needed to make some sundresses. I fall for this cruel trick every year; Mother Nature turned winter back on. 


For Juliet’s dress, I wanted to make a vintage-inspired dress with lots of pintucks, and I knew I wanted to use this Riley Blake poplin I bought from Fabrics , Laces, Trims. I started with the Violette Field Threads Oaklyn bodice and moved the placket to the front, made the back solid, and lowered the neckline just a little. It's hard to photograph, but I used decorative stitches along the button placket, next to the pintucks. 

To keep the tucks the center of attention, I did a lightly gathered skirt. I added cross tucks at the bottom, and belt loops and a tie belt—and of course I couldn’t forget the inseam pockets.  The headband is the Charlie knot headband, minus the knot, with some decorative crosstucks there as well. 





Juliet felt a little left out since she didn't get any hand embroidery, so I promised her a little something to go along with her outfit: a tiny embroidery necklace. I used these little hoops and made a daisy and a ladybug on chambray to fit inside. 

I usually think of pleats as a more structured, preppy look, but for Scarlett’s dress, I wanted a more relaxed look. To achieve this, I used Kaufman double gauze from Cali Fabrics and used box pleats to add a little bit of fullness to the skirt. I also did pinch pleats on the shoulder ties.  


For the bodice, I used VFT as my starting point again, this time using the free Lola pattern front bodice piece to draft both the front and back bodice.  And because every girl needs pockets, big scoop pockets. She’s topped off with a Valerie bow in gingham. 

I knew I wanted to add some embroidery to the bodice but couldn't pick one that was exactly what I had in mind. I decided what better time to make my own design than when I was working on a deadline!  Since both of our families enjoy time in nature, I drew up a pattern made up of native plants and flowers from our area: sunflowers, coreopsis, coneflowers, violet, spiderwort, rudbeckia, goldenrod, butterfly weed, asters, wild strawberry, and wood sorrel. There's also a monarch butterfly, a ladybug, an ant, and a bumblebee hiding in there too. 


The girls seemed happy with their new dresses and would have loved a chance to play in them outside, but it was in the 30s today, so indoor photoshoot it was! The hardest part of taking pictures of these two is getting them to hold still with all the giggling. 


Thanks for stopping by for all of the details, and following me on Project Run and Play! Find me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/emily_sews_stuff/

Comments

  1. Love the little necklace, too! Perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great looks this week! I love the cross tucks on the yellow dress. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow sundress is precious with all those perfect pleats. The color and style is perfect for the coming hot weather. The little embroidered pendant was a charming touch! The embroidery on the blue dress is just lovely! Beautiful dresses for their daughters and to be saved for their own someday. I voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I appreciate the kind words and your vote!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1

  The Project Run and Play theme for week one is “pocket full of sunshine” and I decided to go LITERAL! Almost every time I make a new dress for my seven year old, she tries it on, oohs and aaahs, then checks for pockets. I knew she was going to love this theme, and when I recruited her bff Scarlett, she was even more excited.  I have been holding into this rainbow stripe cotton from Joann for about a year trying to decide what to do with it. I thought it was perfect for this challenge since it’s so cheerful. I self-drafted a flat front gathered skirt with a curved slash pocket. I pieced together the skirt panels to create a chevron pattern, purposely mismatching the colors when they meet at the seam. The intention was to reduce fabric waste,  because I didn’t think it would distract from the design on a fabric with this small scale design. Whew, that was almost as much as work as if I had matched them! I added solid colors for the pockets and sunshine appliqués, and a homemade bias

PRP Week 3

  Juliet can be...a bit of a handful. She gives us a hard time about most things, to be honest. But one thing we almost  never  have trouble getting her to do is eat her vegetables. One time last summer, she lied and said she was going outside to play with the neighbors, but then snuck out back to the garden and...made a salad??? No exaggeration, the girl had Romaine hidden under her shirt. This week's Project Run and Play theme coincides with our favorite time of year: planting season! The first thing that came to mind when I heard of this week's theme, Lettuce Turnip the Beet, was our vegetable garden. We grow a variety of vegetables every year: tomatoes, peppers, herbs, zucchini, cucumbers, peas, beans, and yes, lettuce and beets (I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a turnip though). Juliet and I have been taking an online vegetable gardening class and starting our plants in our basement in anticipation of warmer weather. This theme let me combine two of my favorit

PRP week 4

 I can't believe it's week four and I'm still here! I am extremely grateful for anyone who voted for me the last few weeks. I am a sonographer and NOT a designer; I have never done as much modifying and drafting as I have in the last month, and no matter the outcome, I'm happy. Also, I'm very tired--since I didn't expect it to make it this far, I only cut out my outfits Wednesday and began sewing Thursday.  I kept my theme of song titles for my week four designs, Wildflowers, which also gave me inspiration for my designs. We live in the middle of Illinois prairieland, and wildflowers are starting to pop up (though not enough for a good backdrop for pictures, so use your imagination here).  We tend to be very casual, with few occasions to get very dressed up, especially in the last few years. When I make clothing, I want it to be worn over and over, even if it's just to play in the yard. I'm not sure the correct term to sum up my "signature style&quo